2014 Holiday Shopping Trends for Sales and Marketing Success [Infographic]
The busiest shopping season of the year is about to begin! People who celebrate Christmas, Kwanzaa or Hanukkah will spend an average of $804.42, up nearly 5% over last year's $767.27. Is your business ready to grab a few of these holiday shopping bucks?
The awesome folks over at SociallyStacked have created the below infographic that's packed with valuable holiday shopping trends for 2014 and offers some great advice for capitalizing on your marketing efforts during one of the busiest buying times of the year.
The Top Holiday Shopping Trends for 2014
47% of consumers say that the internet is their favourite shopping destination.
The average shopper will do 44% of their holiday shopping online.
Free shipping is the second most important factor for shoppers when purchasing online.
74% of shoppers will search online to inspire holiday wish lists.
2 in 5 consumers will spend time researching online in order to find a good deal.
44% of consumers want the ability to buy online and pick up their purchases in a store.
- In the last 12 months, 30% of consumers have made a purchase based on their engagement with a social network. Take the time to learn how to use social media effectively for your business so you can continue to grow your brand.
- 59% of consumers say an exclusive discount (only for members of a social network) would influence them to complete a purchase on a social networking site this holiday season.
- 58% of consumers say that rewards and/or loyalty points would influence them to complete a purchase on a social networking site this holiday season.
- 56% of consumers say that a daily deal would influence them to complete a purchasing on a social networking site.
- 52% of consumers would complete a purchasing on a social networking site if they were offered access to exclusive products.
- 84% of store visitors use their mobile devices before or during a shopping trip.
- Consumers are using their mobile phones in the store to research products and find last minute deals.
- 1 in 3 consumers use their smartphones to find information they need rather than asking an employee.
- Nearly one-third of consumers say they'd like to receive holiday deals via their mobile device.
- 69% of consumers said they would use their smartphone for holiday shopping,
- Mobile commerce will account for 33% of U.S online holiday sales.
- 25% of shoppers say easy-to-use mobile websites is an important factor in their decision to shop with a specific retailer.
Shopping Behaviour and Spending
- Nearly 50% of consumers plan to keep track of retailers' promotions and sales through advertising circulars.
- 28% of consumers plan to spend more than 50% of their total holiday shopping budgets November 28 - December 1 ( Black Friday Weekend)
- 80% of online shoppers and 71% of in-store shoppers say email offers influence them to buy. A good email marketing strategy is needed to convert these leads into sales.
- For the 8th year in a row, gift cards are the most requested gift item among those celebrating the holidays.
- Low prices, good customer service, convenient locations, and sales all play a significant role in a consumer's decision to shop at a particular retailer.
Takeaways for Marketers:
- Entice consumers to buy from you by creating a campaign where you offer them a free-shipping code to use in your online store.
- Offer the ability for customers to place an order online and pick it up in-store.
- Host an action-gated campaign on your preferred social networks - ask for an email address in exchange for the exclusive offer.
- Create a campaign based on an advent calendar, offering a new deal each day during a certain shopping period.
- Take advantage of the popularity of smartphones and offer a mobile-only discount.
- Use a campaign builder that delivers mobile-ready coupons.
Host a sweepstakes campaign and collect email addresses from all entrants so you can market to them throughout the year.
- Give your visitors an optimal online user experience by investing in responsive website design. They'll be more likely to purchase something from you and become repeat customers.
Was this infographic helpful to your business? Which trend are you most excited about and look to incorporate into your holiday marketing campaigns? Let us know in the comments below!
Photo credits: santa
About Casey Cleary
Casey is passionate about marketing and using his skills to plan, implement, and run social media campaigns. He also creates and promotes content and plans digital strategies. He loves split testing and tweaking programs for maximum conversions! Also... #GoOilers!